Sausage and peppers are probably one of my favorite food combinations. You just can’t go wrong with sausage and peppers. We are working with EveryPlate this month and sharing our experience with making some of their yummy recipes. We are receiving their food box subscription which is making dinnertime so much easier. We get everything we need to make three different amazing recipes every single week. Tonight we made this amazing Orzotto that the kids loved.
EveryPlate will send you all of the ingredients and the exact amount you need which makes it really easy. No waste, which I love. You can get enough for two or four people. It’s the perfect serving sizes for our family and it works out perfectly.
However, I am including the recipe below so you can shop for the ingredients and make it yourself if you would rather skip the box subscription. I can’t tell you though how great the subscription has been for us. I get home after a busy day of running the kids around and then I get dinner made and on the table in about 30 minutes. Their instructions are super easy to follow and the meals always taste amazing. It has introduced us to a lot of great new foods as well.
Sausage & Pepper Orzotto
- 2 Red Bell peppers
- 6 cloves Garlic
- 2 medium Yellow Onions
- 2 Sweet Italian Pork Sausages
- 1/2 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1 cup Shredded Mozzarella
- 2 cups Orzo Pasta
- 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 2 tsp Vegetable Oil
- 4 cups Water
- Preheat broiler to high.
- Wash and dry all produce. Core, deseed, and medium-dice bell peppers into 1/2 inch pieces. Halve, peel, and small dice onions. Peel and finely chop garlic.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a large, oven-proof pan over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper and onion and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring until pepper begins to brown and onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, microwave 2 tablespoons of butter in a small microwave-safe bowl until melted, about 30 seconds. Let cool, then stir in mozzarella and panko. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add sausage and garlic to the pan with veggies. Cook, breaking up meat into small pieces until browned and cooked through about 5 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons butter and orzo to the pan. Stir until butter melts and everything is well combined.
- Add tomato paste, 4 cups of water, and a pinch of salt to pan. Stir to thoroughly combine. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring, until orzo is tender and water is absorbed about 12 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add a splash of water, as necessary, if mixture seems dry before orzo is tender. Stir the orzo as it cooks to prevent sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Once orzo is tender, sprinkle with panko mixture and broil until cheese is melted and panko is lightly browned, 2-3 minutes. Watch out for burning! Divide between plates and serve.
We really enjoyed this. Orzo was a new pasta for my kiddos but they loved it. I really like that they hid some veggies in there too!
Using EveryPlate makes it super easy but you can definitely do this at home on your own though which is why I wanted to share the recipe. It only took us about 45 minutes to put these together and kids loved them. A super easy meal in minutes. Perfect for a busy day after school functions.
Use my code BSTOUT30 and get 6 free meals across your first 3 weeks + free shipping!
You Might Also Like:
Disclosure: Parenting In Progress receives products in order to conduct reviews. No monetary compensation was provided unless noted otherwise. All opinions are 100% my own. Some posts may contain affiliate links that I receive commission or payment from in exchange for referrals. In the event of a giveaway, the sponsor is responsible for delivery of the prize, unless otherwise noted in the posting. I only recommend products or services I personally use and believe will be a good fit for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 225: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”